find a Nanny
Find a nanny in
your area...

submit a cv
Add your cv
to our database...

find a job
Search for a job
in your area...

submit a job
Place job adverts
on our website...

Employment Guides

Child care qualifications include NNEB, BTEC, GNVQ, NAMWC and ACDEQualifications

An NNEB diploma in nursery nursing indicates the holder undertook a full time 2-year course covering the ages of 0-7. This is probably the most widely recognized qualification and gives student's hands on experience in addition to the academic course which covers the physical, social, educational, intellectual and emotional needs of different ages. Other areas of study include health and hygiene, play and first aid. CACHE (The Council for Awards in Childcare and Education), have recently taken over the conduct of this diploma and now also award a one-year certificate in Childcare and Education.

A BTEC National Diploma in Child Studies (Nursery Nursing) indicates the holder studied for a full time course of a higher level than the NNEB diploma. The course places more emphasis on the academic work and includes modules for those interested in teaching, nursing, social work and childcare. This BTEC diploma is a full time two-year course, and thus distinguishable from the BTEC National Certificate in Childhood Studies which is a lower level one-year part time course offered to mature candidates.

GNVQ courses operate at various as a vocational alternative to A levels. They are administered by City and Guilds and deal in Childcare and related studies. NVQ Levels 2,3 & 4 can take up to two years to complete and are competence based Students are given hands on experience and subject to assessment in the workplace. These courses have replaced the old one-year City and Guilds course.

The NAMWC Certificate (National Association of Maternal and Child Welfare) is aimed at 16-18 year olds and covers children from 0-Teenagers, whilst an advanced certificate is aimed at more mature students such as Childminders who wish to study for a Professional Qualification. Another alternative here is a two-year diploma course.

ADCE (Advanced Diploma in Childcare and Education). This is an advanced course open only to experienced Childcarers. A Nursery Manager is likely to have this qualification.

Private Colleges offering specialist training include the Norland College, The Princess Christian College and The Chiltern Nursery Training College. Courses are 2 years and are generally followed by a probationary period of 6-9 months. A wide range of subjects are studied and students are awarded the NNEB and Health Diploma. NEC (National Extension College) works with the lead bodies in childcare to develop quality materials and support training delivery, helping workers gain essential qualifications.

NEC's childcare and early years resource packs can be used to support training in a wide range of vocational qualifications. They can be used for face-to-face training, open learning or to support private self-study with anyone working with children and young people in a nursery, playgroup, pre-school or out-of-school club, or anyone working as a childminder or foster carer.